Technically, DHS policy instructs immigration and border agents to avoid conducting enforcement actions at sensitive locations (with some exceptions). You can read that policy here. However, it has become unclear whether the agency is still adhering to these sensitive location policies, or whether ICE agents are now conducting enforcement actions at any location, regardless of its nature. It is important to know your rights and have a plan in place in case you encounter immigration or other law enforcement.
Locations which may still be covered by these policies include:
- Schools, such as known and licensed daycares, pre-schools and other early learning
programs; primary schools; secondary schools; post-secondary schools up to and including colleges and universities; as well as scholastic or education-related activities or events, and school bus stops that are marked and/or known to the officer, during periods when school children are present at the stop;
- Medical treatment and health care facilities, such as hospitals, doctors’ offices, accredited health clinics, and emergent or urgent care facilities;
- Places of worship, such as churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples;
- Religious or civil ceremonies or observances, such as funerals and weddings; and
- During public demonstration, such as a march, rally, or parade.